Friday, December 31, 2010

Little iddy biddy eco owls

I am a big toy owl lover! for those new to me and my life, I created Wishing Owls back in 2008 and sell them in stores all over Vancouver, as well as shipping to the rest of Canada. They are made from reused fabrics and eco fabrics, making them kind to the earth which was my goal. Each and every one is a little different so that they are each as special as their recipients.



I have thought about making a smaller version many times but have not gotten around to it yet. In the meantime I saw my friend post a little owl that she had made many of for gifts on her blog and I just had to make some for gifts too. I bought the pattern from Etsy for about $4 and made over 30 of them for E's 2nd birthday to put in the gift bags.They were pretty quick to make after the first few. They are great because again you can use any scraps of fabric you have to make them and I love the idea of making each one a little different.


I used an old grey sweater as well as scraps from fleece blankets and the unwanted sleeves from E's dress that I altered. I love the way the sweater ones turned out the best....all woolly and wise looking.

While searching for the other owl on Etsy, I found an even cuter and smaller owl. This one is made from using old baby socks. You do have to be a little choosy as you can't use the ones with sticky grips or with words on the sole but I had loads left over from my two kiddies.

I found, as with anything, the first one was a little fiddly but they have got easier to do with each new one. I gave one to each of my kids for their Christmas Eve present and added a cord so they could be tree decorations. As you can see from their faces they were pretty excited about them and the thought of Christmas morning too. I also made one each for my best friends little girls and they have just become their favourite little stuffie....they fit in a palm or a pocket so easily.



Claire of Craftschmaft who made the little sock owls also has patterns for other sock animals which are all very cute and their is also a sock owl mobile which I hope to make in 2011. I have already found the drift wood sticks for the top just need the motivation of a friends new baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment