Friday, December 31, 2010

Cute Baby Blankets and Matching Tees

I am often inspired by the things I see in the kids stores. After looking at the price though I usually figure I can make it myself most occasions, for a lot cheaper and make changes to the design too so that it looks even better......more me :o)

I have liked these style of blankets for a while but they retail between $60 and $80. When my little ones were small I never thought of making my own but now my friends are having babes too I decided to have a go at making my own.




I added little felt applique animals and shapes to the cotton side of the blanket and stitched in a contrast colour to the felt.



I also made some matching sleepers. I love the iron on film !! I ironed it to the back of my cotton then drew my shape directly onto the back of the fabric and cut it out. Then I hand stitched them onto the tee and baby onesies using the same embroidery thread as the blankets in a chunky running stitch.


This makes a really lovely baby gift package without it costing the earth. Literally mine were made from  fabrics I already had leftover for both sides of the blanket and the appliques. The tee shirts and onesies were all from local Canadian companies and made of organic cotton. I often pick up great pattern fabrics from second hand stores and Value Village. I love up-cycling!

No comments:

Post a Comment