Friday, December 31, 2010

Felt Food

After seeing just how expensive it was to buy the Haba felted foods I decided to try my hand at making my own. What I already knew about felt is that it is very forgiving so you never need to be too neat.

I started with some farfalle. I cut squares of felt, two edges had a straight edge and 2 edges with pinking shears and then gathered them in the centre and used a few stitches to hold the shape.





Next was tagliatelle which I made by cutting very long but narrow strands of felt. For the ravioli I cut out squares with pinking shears. I then sewed three edges of the felt together to form a smaller square inside and added a little stuffing and then finished sewing the last side so that they were plump in the middle just like the real thing.

The tortelini  were a little trickier. I cut a circle, folded it in half and put a little stuffing in and stitched around the edge. then I took both ends of the semi cirle and drew them together so that the straight side folded on itself and again I tacked it together to hold it.



I also made donuts, cakes, strawberries, a tomato and a fried egg. The doughnut idea I got from another Vancouver crafty mum over at Playgound Love

They went down with E very well on Christmas morning and she has been cooking up a storm in her wooden kitchen ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment