Monday, April 18, 2011

Dress No 3 makes 3

So my Spring/Summer project, if you haven't seen my other posts, is to upcycle my old clothing to make new things mainly being a new wardrobe for my nearly 3 year old. I gave my closet a very serious clearing out but couldn't part with some things for a variety of reasons,memories, beautiful prints or just nice types of fabric.

The red dress I used for these outfits cost me the grand total of 5 GBP (in the UK). I  loved the pattern and vibrancy of the red as well as the fabric itself , super slinky with a lovely handle. This all being said it had held space in my closet  for the best part of 6 years without ever making it out on me or anyone else. It was time for it to move on.

I started by cutting off the top part of the original dress at the length it needed to be for Evie and hemmed it and then added a few clever ties and hey presto a cute little summer dress.

 The bottom part seemed to be the perfect size for a top or skirt so I made both. I cut in two and added a little elastic to turn one into a skirt and the other into a halter top/dress with straps made from the dresses original belt.

I am looking forward to seeing what I can make out of some of my other items.






This would look great on it's own as a beach dress or with  leggings too.

And finally the dress that I intended to make. The others I was inspired to make along the way as I never like to waste fabric, time or a good idea. I also get the feeling that Evie not only loves getting her new clothes but modeling them and smiling for the camera too!

1 comment: