Tuesday, October 1, 2013

What's in a name ??

There is always a reason behind the name of someones business and we are just the same!! In fact most people won't have heard the story before but it started way back in the 90's. I was at Uni doing my degree in Fashion at Derby University, in the UK. During my first year I designed and made a small kidswear collection and I needed a brand name for it. I thought long and hard and being one design student in a sea of many, I thought of fish swimming in the huge sea. This collection was also using eco fabrics and I thought of the quote :

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead
So this is where me, the little fish, was trying to do my bit in the big fashion industry world. I was aware of how damaging our throw away fashion industry is, but maybe, just maybe I could help in a positive way. Fast forward 10 years...I had left working long hours in a fashion company after travelling the world, was married, two kids, newly emigrated to Canada and looking for some creative outlets because now fashion wasn't my daily job.

I started by designing logos and graphics for friends and small one person businesses like myself. Then I started crafting too and realised to get the word out there and to make this more than a hobby I needed a name that would work for all my little endeavors. I naturally came back to 'Big Ocean Little Fish'....it really never left. Immediately I  knew what I wanted to do for my logo.






The fish is in the @ sign to symbolize a little company in a big corporate world. I wanted more than anything to create things that people would love that were 'made with love' , not mass produced and for me to tread as lightly as I could on the planet. So where possible I use upcycled or recycled fabrics, fabrics that are animal friendly and therefore everybody friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment